Whether you are a hunter or a bird watcher, you need to ensure that you have the perfect view. You can purchase the best spotting scope under $200 today needs to feel like you are right there even though, sometimes, you may be miles away.
For most people, a telescope or binoculars will do. In the beginning, a pair of binoculars will be effective. As you get more serious about your outdoor activities, you begin to realize that you have to have a spotting scope.
If you have not used a spotting scope, one question that may be lingering in your mind right now is what a spotting scope is? Why do I need one? Which are the best spotting scopes in the market? Well, this article will tell you what a spotting scope is, its advantages and how to use it.
What is a spotting scope?
A spotting scope is a small telescope that usually has added optics and is portable. It is made to allow its user to see a terrestrial object and its images are erect. The diameter of its lens is used to determine its resolution and the light-gathering power it will have. Therefore, the clearer and further you want to see, the higher the price you will have to pay.
Unlike a telescope, your spotting scope uses lower magnification than that used on a telescope. This is mainly because at night more magnification is required to view objects than during the day. If you are usually bird watching or hunting during foggy or rainy weather conditions, then, you will be glad to know that unlike telescopes, spotting scopes are waterproof. The short video explains the various spotting scope basics as you also to try and figure out the best spotting scope under $200
Best spotting Scope Under $200 Reviews
This review gives a good guide on the various best spotting scopes under $200 in the market today
1. Celestron – Ultima 80 Angled Spotting Scope – 20 to 60x80mm Zoom Eyepiece
This spotting scope has a fully multi-colored lens that allows you to enjoy high levels of transmission even when the lighting conditions are less than ideal. The multi-colored optics ensure that you enjoy the anti-reflective features that allow you to love the improved contrast and color of images in addition to the maximum brightness.
For the outdoor enthusiast, this is an excellent choice. The 65mm objective lens allows for a clear straight-through viewing angle. It also has a large focus dial that allows you to have the razor-sharp focus before it moves away. The zoom feature allows you to enjoy the eyepiece to help you see intricate details at a distance. You can also enjoy the weatherproof capabilities, especially if you often watch the birds and go hunting during the rainy conditions. The nitrogen gas-filled sealed lenses will prevent fogging.
- Excellent in low light situations
- Sturdy construction
- The images get blurry after 250 yards
When it comes to quality and value for your money, then RangeHAWK 20-60×60 is all you need. It is specifically designed for greatness with little extra features for the price. It comes ready to surprise you and take your adventures to the next level. This is actually a great scope under $200. What makes this spotting scope different from others and a must-have accessory is the inclusion of features that makes it highly competitive for the price. It comes with a lens cover, tripod, and phone mount to give you the best outdoor experience.
Unlike other scopes on the market, Range HAWK has high performance and it allows you to view images from different angles. The phone mount allows you to connect the scope to your phone to capture images and videos as you like. Therefore, you will not miss an opportunity of greatness as well as have enough recordings to keep your adventure memories.
Among the best spotting scopes under $200, this one is the one with such a unique feature. With 20-60 times magnification, it guarantees you incredible zooming power to spot your target from a high-end distance.
The lens of this RangeHAWK is 60mm, which provides you with a wide-field view and exceptional clarity. Therefore, you are sure that nothing will pass your attention even under tough circumstances. Additionally, the RangeHAWK spotting scope is designed for adventure. Therefore, it has a unique waterproof construction that makes it suitable for all weather conditions.
It also has a competitive casing that makes it extremely durable regardless of the type of uses you engage it. However, the phone mount is cheaply designed and may not function better with all phone models.
- Includes tripod, phone mount, and lens cover
- Suitable for all weather conditions
- Widefield view
- High range zooming for quality imaging
- The phone mount does not support all phone models
3.Redfield Rampage 20-60×60
If you are looking for a perfect spotting scope under $200 that will take your hunting to the next level without breaking the bank, then this is all you need. Redfield Rampage is designed to ensure you enjoy quality services from a scope and you don’t have to pay more. This amazing device is designed to ensure you not only have a quality time while hunting but also allows you to interact with quality features at an affordable price.
The Redfield Rampage is designed with a retractable lens shade, which guarantees that it can see through different settings and still receive quality images. This is especially related to adjusting the eye relief of a scope. Additionally, the refractable lens has the ability to blurring the surrounding area to ensure you have a convenient focus on your target. This scope is designed for greatness and it has a small/compact size that makes it suitable for hunting adventures.
The size also makes it convenient that it can fit into your pocket or small bag without adding any weight. The lightweight design also makes super comfortable to travel with for any hiking or outdoor experiences.
It also features the BAK4 prism glass that makes the rampage a must-have product for anyone who prides in quality. The prism glass has fully multi-coated coating for extra protection and high-end performance. It is also waterproof making it suitable for any weather adventures. Its only downside is that it will blow your mind with all these features in one small piece at a low price. If you get your hands on it, be ready to keep your memories for a long time.
- Tough polycarbonate body
- Soft storage case
- Refractable lens shade
- Multi-coated prism glass
- It is slightly tough to adjust its magnification
4.Tasco World Class 20-60×60 Spotting Scope
If you are looking for the best spotting scope under $200 that will enable you to watch birds, go hunting, and attend to other outdoor adventures without stressing your account, then Tasco world-class is all you need. It has amazing specifications with little extras for the price. Therefore, it will satisfy your expectations for having excellent memories of all times.
It has a tripod stand that can be mounted on your car too. This stand makes it possible for you to get close to the wild without fear of scaring your target away. The tabletop tripod also allows you to capture clear images even while your target is on the move. The 60 mm diameter objective lens provides you with a wide field range. It also guarantees that you get exceptional light gathering or clear images even when the surrounding light is low. In other words, the 60mm objective lens is suitable for use in places where light supply is limited. Additionally, it has high-end scanning ability to ensure that you can view even the smallest details. With 20x magnification, nothing will bypass your attention even when you are not focusing on it.
You may come to realize that some of the scopes here even work better than the best spotting scope under $500. Unlike other scopes on the market, it features a beautiful design with a durable material construction to serve you for years. Therefore, when you invest in this scope, you are sure that you will enjoy quality observations for a longer period.
It also has a waterproof design that makes it suitable for use even under harsh weather conditions. Therefore this is the best spotting scope under $200 that is suitable for adventure. However, its downside is that before committing to buy this Tasco world-class spotting scope, you must be sure that you will take it to adventure. All this goodness cannot be contained in a storage bag while you are creating memories.
- Suitable for all weather conditions
- Durable constriction style
- Comes with a tripod for quality observation
- Wide field viewing
- Slightly heavy compared to others on the market
5. Bushnell Sentry 18-36x 50mm Spotting Scope
It cannot be good to list any best spotting scope under $200 without mentioning the Bushnell Sentry spotting scope on the list. Although it comes at position five on the list that does not mean that it will not offer exceptional services.
Bushnell Sentry 18-36x 50mm helps you capture your target at ease and it also enhances your outdoor experience to make it more memorable. It is designed with a lightweight body for effortless transportation. Therefore, unlike other scopes, you will not have to deal with additional weights while you are on a hunting mission. The lightweight design also guarantees that you are able to walk around the bushes comfortably and with all your concentration on the target.
Another benefit of Bushnell Sentry scope is that it has a waterproof design and fog-proof housing. This guarantees that the scope is safe for use even under rainy conditions. The for-proof housing protects the lens from any fog formation especially if you are using it under cold weather.
The design also features shock-absorbing rubber that provides you perfect grip and keeps your device safe all the time. To spice things up, Bushnell Sentry scope comes with a carrying case for easy storage and transportation. It also has a tripod stand for easy mounting and clear image projection. Any best spotting scope under $200 will be an answer to many hunters. However, even with all the good sides of the scope, it has a difficult to operate design and it will require more time to learn.
- Fog-proof housing and 100% waterproof design
- Carrying case and tripod inclusive
- Lightweight design for easy transportation
- Slightly tough to operate
How to use a spotting scope
If you are new to the scope, you probably do not know how to set it up. If you have tried, you are probably wondering whether you are doing it the right way.
Using the tripod
If you are using the tripod to set your spotting scope, there is a simple way to ensure you get everything done the right way.
- Begin by unclipping or unlocking the tripod’s leg levers. Extend the tripod until you have reached your desired height. Once done, ensure you have locked the levers securely to maintain this height.
- If your tripod is capable, you can extend the height of each leg. This will be especially useful to you if you are on the uneven or rocky terrain.
- Sometimes, you will find that you may need a little weight to hold the tripod down. To do so, have a hook that is hanging at the center of the tripod. Attach this hook to a bag. This should add enough weight to keep it steady.
- You can then take your spotting scope outside of its case.
- Usually, the tripod already has its mounting plate fitted to it. Attach the spotting scope to the plate and tighten it with whatever tightening mechanism is placed on the tripod. You may require a special device to do so. You, therefore, need to ensure that you have read your user’s manual before you hit the range. If your tripod has a quick release system, you may only be required to slide the spotting scope to place.
- The release mechanism is usually straight forward. There is a button to depress the spotting scope in seconds. However, if you locked it in place, you have to remember to unlock it first.
- To add more height, unlock the neck extension pull it to position and lock it back.
Tilting the scope
There are usually tilt and pan locks on the tripod. To tilt the tripod, you need to unlock them. If you have newer models, the tilting mechanism is somewhere on the handle. By twisting the handle, you will be able to tilt the tripod any directing you wish.
- It is critical always to remember not to try tilting the scope itself as you risk damaging it.
Preparing the scope
- When preparing to use the scope, remove any covers, zips or parts that may be covering the objective lens, the focus control or the eyepiece.
- You may also want to remove any caps on the scope.
Once your scope has been set up, it is always important to ensure that you find a great view. This too requires a lot of patience and practice to get right, even for seasoned users.
- Always begin with low magnification. Then you can change the magnification settings to enhance the sharpness of your image. With time, you can also widen your field of view. You can move and turn the focus until the image is as you desire.
- If you wear glasses, you may want to consider folding down the eyecups. This will allow you to have eye relief. The best long eye relief scopes 2019 give an insight into the same.
- If the sun is directly informant of your scope, pull out the retractable sunshade that is at the objective lenses. This will make images clearer and more detectable.
- To scan for objects, you can use the panhandle to view the terrain. However, it is always much easier if you have already done this using your binoculars.
- Once you see targets you might want to view, use, the magnification ring ton increase the magnification power until you have attained your desired view.
It is always good practice to begin finding targets are the lowest magnification. This will allow you to have a wide field of view. The higher your power range, the less your view field.
Tips for using a camera
- Ensure that the camera and the spotting scope are compatible. This will ensure a perfect fit.
- Sometimes, all you need is a camera adapter or a universal phone
You need to remember that camera adapters come in many different forms and sizes. You need to define your needs clearly and how much you are willing to pay to get the perfect tool for the job.[/su_box]
Getting the right spotting scope is just as important as finding the perfect magnification power to view the targets. It is also critical to ensure that you choose the right spots to set up, especially if you are using a tripod. While the instructions may seem overwhelming, with the time you realize, there is nothing to it. If you play around with the timing and the positions, you will find an option that is perfect for you. Any best spotting scope under $200 will not only save your cash but the right choice will serve the purpose.