When you enter an optics shop, one of the things that you will definitely consider is the price of the optic that you want to buy. One of the things that many people do not know is that the price can mislead you from the word go. For instance, Mil dot scopes under $200 are available in the market. They may look cheaper when compared to the Mil Dot scope under $500, but the clarity of the latter is better. Remember, if you are hunting, the focus is all that matters. You will not hunt down that impala if at all, you never aimed at it well. Therefore, that is one of the things that you need to have in mind as you embark on the purchase.
A Mil Dot scope, is one of the favorite scopes for many hunters. I am a lover of the scope because at all the times that I have used it, I have never been disappointed. I like the sharp focus that the scope gives. In addition to the cross hairs there are extra sharp dots that are very visible and are aimed at giving the best accuracy. This is also what my friend told me the other day. For him, this is so helpful given that he has eye problems.Also, he can look at the generations of night vision devices to get the best device to use.
The Mil Dot scope is also easy to use and easy to set up. The good thing is that you can be able to use it with many devices as long as you first zero it. If you are having a budget of getting the best Mil Dot scope under $500 then you are in safe hands. This article review is going to give you the top five best Mil Dot scopes under $500.
Reviews on the top rated Mil Dot scope under $500
This is a detailed review of the top rated best Mil Dot scopes under$500. In this review, the features of each and every scope are outlined. The pros and cons are also outlined. When making a purchase, there is a need to do a good research so as to choose the product wisely. However, there are people that are so lazy in research. It is good to know what you want to purchase. There is no need to waste your money on a mil-dot reticle and yet it will not serve you the purpose. This article review will give you the answers that you need in making a choice on the best Mil Dot scope reticle to buy.
1. Vortex Optics Viper 6.5-20×50 PA
Vortex Company has recently gained popularity in the type of scopes that it makes. In this case, Vortex Optics Viper 6.5-20×50 PA is a scope made by this company, and it is one of the Mil Dot scope under $500 that one should consider buying. This is because of the features that it has.
First of all, it is good to know that it is a 6.5- 20x power optic. That means that it has a very powerful magnification and power. The lens is fully multicoated with extra low dispersion lenses to control the amount of light that is reaching the eye. The lenses are protected by an XR coating. The MAG bar in it helps to enhance rapid changes in magnification. It also has a fast focus eyepiece to enable eye reticle focusing. It has the side knob for parallax adjustment. This scope is ideal for long rage targets. The capped turrets can be quickly re-indexed to zero after sighting
This mil dot scope is also durable. This is because of the material that it is made of. It has a hard, anodized finish that provides a tough and rugged scope. It is also argon purged has an O-ring seal that makes it water proof and fog proof.
- Waterproof and fog proof
- Good eye relief
- Has side knobs for adjustment
- Long range mil dot scope
- Limited warrantly
2.Tasco Varmint 2.5-10x 42mm True Mil-Dot Reticle, 1/4 MOA Turrets Riflescope
Tasco Varmint riflescope has high magnification, which ensures you can spot your target faster and easier. The scope has a true Mildot reticle, which guarantees that you maintain accurate shooting. Therefore, it becomes easy for you to identify your target even at a distance. The scope features a field-of-view of 35ft at 100 yards. This ensures that you have a clear vision and can easily tell what it is effectively.
The scope has SuperCon or multi-layer coated optics to enhance the quality of your image through light transmission. It also has an extra-large 42mm objective lens to ensure that you don’t stress your eyes while trying to view your images. Therefore, you will comfortably monitor your target even while on the move and still maintain the same image quality. On the other hand, the Tasco Varmint riflescope works best for both intermediate and long-range shooting. It also comes with a lifetime warranty, which gives you an assurance that the scope will last longer.
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Multi-coated optics
- Variable 2.5-10x magnification
- High-field magnification
- Often loses focus as the reticle is not stable
3.Pinty 4-16X40 Rifle Scope AO Red Green Blue Illuminated Mil-Dot with Flip-Open Covers, Sunshade Tube
Pinty riflescope with red, green, and blue illuminated mildot ensures that you get accurate shooting all the time. The mildot illumination guarantees that you can single out your target from a group hence enhancing your concentration while you aim. It also has a hand-turn MOA windage with zero locking function for easy adjustment. Therefore, it ensures that you can get a clear shot and minimize your chances of missing your target.
Another benefit of investing in this Pinty riflescope is that it has high magnification ability. The combo provides a wide range from 4-16 times magnification, which is essential for distance hunting. It has a rugged one-tube construction style for premium quality and durability. Additionally, the scope has a multi-coated lens for quality light transmission. This coating also ensures that the image brightness and clarity is at its best. The flip-open cover keeps the scope safe from direct sun to ensure that it retains its original looks. Also, the construction material is shockproof and waterproof, making it ideal for use even during harsh weather conditions.
- 4-14x magnification
- Fully multi-coated lens
- Waterproof and fog-proof construction
- Hand-turn 1/2 MOA
- Resetting the turrets is a little complicated
4. Bushnell Tactical 10X40 Rifle Scope, Mil-Dot Reticle
This is another type of Mil-Dot reticle that has an objective lens of 40 mm and a magnification of up to 10x. These are features that clearly show the ability of the optic to provide good images. Remember, this is a fixed magnification. People who do not like often adjustment will enjoy this feature so much. It can be able to target a range that is as small as 10 yards to 100 yards.
Its lens is multi-coated with a wide band. This is to enhance light transmission. The multi-coatings also help in preventing reflections.
Having a rain guard HD technology means that the scope is water proof and fog proof. Durability and reliability are enhanced by having the scope purged with argon gas. Therefore no fog will be able to blur the hunter’s vision when using the scope on a misty day. Having such kind of features makes it more durable because it can be able to withstand the outdoor environment.
It has the capped side turrets. These turrets are used in the side adjustment that aims at getting the best view of the range that the hunter is aiming at. Being a Mil Dot scope, there is a possibility that the scope can be used in estimating the target that one wants to shoot at.
Unique feature: Fixed power scope
- Good eye relief
- High level of clarity
- It is a fixed power reticle
5. Leupold 115390 Mark AR MOD 1 Riflescope with Mil Dot Reticle, 3-9×40-Millimeter, Matte Black
Leupold is another company that is liked by many people because of the products that it makes. For example, the above mil dot reticle is one of the best mil dot reticles under $500. It is a second focal plane of the second generation with a Mil-Dot that both vertical and horizontal scadia. Most of the hunters prefer the second focal plane reticle because of the good focusing.
This top rated Mil-Dot reticle produces clear and precise images because of the magnification power that it possesses. It can magnify an image up to 3-9x and has an objective lens of 40 mm. Additionally, it has multicoated lenses that help in increasing light transmission and preventing reflections. These are very crucial because, on a sunny day, a lot of light may reach the eye making it difficult to view images well. Eye relief is therefore provided. The only disadvantage is that it does not come with stand and lens covers. One has to buy them although they are not as expensive.
The scope is also durable. This is because of the anodized aluminum housing that makes it. It is always good to know the material that is making your scope because you want it to serve you for some time. It is also water proof and fog proof. This is as a result of the argon seal in it. At times Krypton is also used. The scope is not illuminated and that means that you will not use a battery.
- High level of clarity
- Good and quick focusing
- Water proof
- Made of durable material
- Good eye relief
- Does not need a battery
- Second focal plane reticle
- It is not illuminated
- Has no lens covers
Unique feature: Quick focus
6. Nikon PROSTAFF 5 Mildot Riflescope, Black, 3.5-14×40
Nikon PROSTAFF 5 Mildot Riflescope is definitely a gem for the hunters. This is because of the features that it possesses. It is a second focal plane.One of the most unique features that people love about this reticle is the ability to have in built focus and aiming points that enable easy adjustments. Has spring loaded zero reset turrets that enable adequate focusing. This is convenient for first time or inexperienced hunters. The adjustments are made easier using the zero reset adjustment turrets that many hunters love.
The quick focus eye piece also makes sure that one does not take a lot of time when focusing. This can be a very big time waster especially if you have a target already. The lens has a magnification of 3.5 -14 x and the objective lens has a size of 40mm. That means that enough light can be able to enter the lens providing a good relief. There are also multicoated lenses in the scope that help in light transmission and limit the amount of light that reaches the eye. Because of this, all the images will be seen clearly.
The range of scope is not something to worry when using this Mil-Dot scope. This is because it can be able to focus both on a short range and on a long range. It is an MOA scope that can have a parallax adjustment of as low as 50 yards. However, it does not come with a sunshade.
- Good eye relief
- Good clarity
- Quick focus
- It has no sunshade.
Unique feature: MOA scope
7. Hawke Sidewinder TAC 30 6.5-20X42 Mildot Riflescope
Hawke Sidewinder TAC 30 6.5-20X42 Mildot Riflescope is another type of a mil dot riffle scope under $500. It is made of etched glass and can hold a 308 or a 30 06 recoil. This is because it is strong.
It has a high level of clarity because of the adjustable magnification power of 6.5 – 20x. Using the side turrets, one can be able to adjust to the magnification power that he or she wants at that time. The side focus turrets lock after sighting the prey and they can be able to target from as low as 10 yards to infinity. In that case, you can see that this is the top rated mil dot scope for small animals both at a long range and at a short range. Also, the 42 mm objective lens allows a good amount of light to reach the eye meaning that even during focusing the hunter will not strain.
The Mil Dot reticle has a green or red illumination that is loved by many. That means that one can be able to use it at night. The reticle has five levels of brightness and therefore one is able to adjust according to the brightness that he or she needs. This is good for these people who got eye problems.
- The scope is as well durable. This is because it is waterproof and fog proof. That means that one may be far to use it during the misty and cold days without a problem. It also comes with a sun shade and lens caps. The lens caps are meant to protect the scope while the sun shade covers are meant to limit the amount of light that reaches the eye when it is very sunny.
- Good eye relief
- Limited life warranty
Unique feature: Adjustable magnification
8. Primary Arms 4-14X Tactical Scope with Front Focal Plane PA4-14XFFP
This is the kind of scope that goes at an affordable price. This is like a throwaway considering the features that the scope possess. Even at that price, the scope is durable because it has the water proof and the fog proof. The material that makes it is also tough meaning that it can be able to offer the best service to the individual using it.
It has a magnification of from 4-14x. This depends on the power that you want. With the Mil based turrets, the adjustments can be made successfully. The turrets move by 1/10 per each click. It as a diameter of 44mm for the objective lens and an eye relief of 3.14-3.22. The only downfall of the scope is the fact that it is not illuminated.
- High clarity level
- Not illuminated
Factors to consider when looking for the best Mil Dot scope under $500
- Clarity and precision is the most crucial factor in choosing any type of Mil Dot scope. This is because the sole reason for using the scope is to hit the target. Each scope that you plan to purchase should have the ability to help you see the target with ease. The optic system of each and every scope is the one that dictates the precision and clarity that one is bound to get. That means that it is good to ask the dealer about the kind of optic system in each and every scope so as to get the advice on the best one.
- Durability is also dictated by the type of material making the best Mil Dot scope. The fact that the rifle scope is to be used in harsh environments, there is a need to have a material that cannot be affected by water easily.
- Ease of usage of the Mil Dot scope is also key. The top rated mil dot scope will always be easy to work with. There are scopes that will need adjustment, installation, and reinstallation. All these processes should be easy because, at the end of the day, all we want is something that will not give us any a headache.
- Additional features are also good. Technology has led to the design of suitable mil dot scopes that have other features in addition to the designs that were there in the past. Look at features such as zero locking, magnification, light transmission and quick eye focus. Illumination is another thing that people like about the Mil Dot scope. This is because when it is illuminated, there is an assurance that one can use it at night. No one wants to be limited to a scope that will only be used at a certain time of the day and not the other.
- Price is also another big factor. In the optics shop, there are many optics there. Remember you are on a budget. Do not be fooled by the prices on the optics. This is because the features of each optics are different. If you have planned on buying Mil dot scope under $500, stick to the plan because there are ones for under $200 but they do not have some good features.
- The weight of the Mil dot reticle is also another key feature that is worth looking at. All people want a scope that is easy to carry. Being light weight means that you can be able to handle the scope and therefore the hunting time will not be that hard for you.
On looking at the above factors keenly, there is an assurance that you will be able to choose nothing but the best.