Have you ever gone hunting, bird watching or just wildlife spotting and noticed something’s missing? Probably binoculars? Well, I have. I went on a wildlife cruise with my dad last holiday before school and it felt flat. It was like I wasn’t getting the whole experience. I wanted to see the animals up close but I couldn’t because I didn’t have binoculars. I later came to learn of the existence of some of the best low light binoculars. To own any pair of binoculars in this category requires through research.
That’s why I took it upon myself to write this article. For all those who have wanted binoculars for the longest time but don’t know which one to get.
You will learn about the top 6 best low light binoculars that offer the best in the industry plus a comprehensive buyer’s guide. So let’s get right into it!
Top 6 Best Low Light Binoculars
1. Aurosports 10×25 Folding High Powered Binoculars
With a 4.3 over 5 and over 900 reviews on it, this Autosports Binoculars does fit the description of efficient and classy. With this new development in the industry, you can see the magnification and lens diameter have been included in the name for easier purchasing.
This pair of binoculars has a 10 times magnification and a 26 diameter length of the objective lens. Very suitable for all your outdoor activities including hiking, hunting, site seeing, birds watching and exploring. It’s light in weight and easily portable. It can fit in your pocket due to its foldable nature.
It does have quite a large field of view of 362 feet over 1000 yards. This means the target focus is more than enough to get you the perfect picture. Some exclaim that it’s brilliant.
In terms of the type of eyecups, it is a twist-up giving about 3 meters of eye relief suitable for those who use glasses to see.
The angle of focus is 6.9 degrees covering the center and right eye. It has the highest quality of prism, the BAK4 glass has a coating with the highest refractive index. In lay man’s terms, it means that it transmits light much better than other prisms. That offers good eye relief.
The low light night vision of the binoculars has a full HD green film that transmits light to as high as 99.5 %. Pretty good for low light. This doesn’t claim to see in the dark, just low light environments.
- It is waterproof meaning ni interference with the performance even with contact to water.
- It is fully multi-coated allowing for better anti-reflecting light directed towards your eyes for good eye relief
- Made of high-quality ABS plastic and non-slip rubber for added durability.
- Very portable. It can be folded and fitted in your pocket with ease. Also thanks to its lightweight nature.
- Offers low light vision, not in the dark time, something’s close to sunset.
- The binoculars is actually not tripod adaptable. This could be due to its size nature which non-complicit.
- The chassis material of the binoculars is made of plastic that may be light but durability may not be longer than those with a metal body.
2. SkyGenius 10 x 50 Powerful Full-Size Binoculars for Adults
SkyGenius did it again with their incredible pair of binoculars. Other binoculars with over 900 reviews and a rating as high as 4.6 over 5. Seems much better than the first choice but let’s look at other features before we conclude, shall we?
It has a 10 times magnification and a 50 mm diameter of the objective lens. This is important to note as it also explains the light transmission which is quite good.
Onto matters of its focus, the lens transmits on a central and right focus. Its field of view is also large measuring 367 feet over 1000 yards and its angle is 6.2 degrees. This binoculars also works well under low light. The exit pupil is 5 mm allowing a larger transmission of light to your eyes for easy vision under low light.
The binoculars are not fully Multi-coated but have a corrective optical coating that will give you not only a clearer picture but a sharper more saturated colour contrast of the picture. The multi-layered coating will also give you minimal distortion on the spherical lenses which improves the quality and brightness of the picture.
Material wise, their heroic structure is made with aluminium and coated with rubber for added durability. The Aluminium, unlike plastic, will have a heavier feel to them but also means longevity. The rubber coating adds a sleek design to the exterior of the binoculars, plus makes them dust, water, and fog resistant.
- The binoculars are adaptable to the tripod for a more stable view.
- It is very easy to use with adjustable eye cups and easy focus areas in the centre and right spots thus good eye relief.
- The structure is made of durable metal interiors and rubber exteriors.
- It has a large field and angle of view bringing pictures closer in a brilliant way
- Fog proof
- It is not as light as the first choice due to the aluminium interiors.
- The layering of the lens coat is multiply layered which offers lower quality than a fully Multi-coated lens due to the quality and amount of light transmission.
- The binoculars are only elements resistant. This means they could have adverse effects on their performance and efficiency underexposure or contact to the elements over a long period of time.
3. Occer 12×25 Compact Binoculars
Number 3 on the list with a top rating of 4.3 over 5 and over 500 reviews is the Occer compact binoculars. It has a 12 times magnification and 25 mm objective lens diameter. The eyepiece diameter in this binoculars is 15 mm with a focus system rooted in the centre and right eye. That makes it have a good eye relief
Its field of view of this pair of binoculars is not any larger than the two already mentioned above measuring only 273 feet over 1000 yards. But the angle is 7.5 degrees which are larger than either of the two binoculars mentioned above. It also has an exit pupil distance of 20mm which is 4 times bigger than that of SkyGenius.
The binoculars are very light weighing only 0.65 pounds making it very portable and very versatile in its uses. You could carry it with you as you go hiking, bird watching, hunting, game watching or camping.
Let’s talk optics now. This Occer binoculars have the BAK4 prism which has high standard glass features for the perfect view. It also has an FMC multilayer coating called the broadband green film. This offers close to no colour distortion and improved pictures quality with added brightness and clearer pictures.
This binocular also has a non-slip rubber coating with the ABS plastic interior that allows is to be waterproof and shockproof besides the long-lasting guarantee on its lifespan. To cater for glass wearing users, the binoculars have a rotating eye cups for an easier more comfortable fit.
- Very light in weight making it very portable.
- Perfectly built structure made of durable ABS plastic and non-slip rubber making in waterproof, shockproof and dust resistant.
- Good eye relief because the eyecups and large eyepiece of 15mm are perfect for all wearers including glass wearers.
- Versatile in use plus can be used by adults and kids.
- Offers low light night vision due to the high-quality prism BAK 4 glass.
- The coating on the binoculars is of high standards offering only the best in picture quality.
- It is not tripod adaptable due to the compactness of the binoculars.
- The structural material is made of plastic rather than a metal alloy which could give it added longevity.
4. Cayzor 12×42 Binoculars for Adults
With a 12 times magnification, low light vision and 4.9 over 5 reviews, there is nothing better suited for you than this binoculars. It has a 42m objective lens diameter and an eyepiece diameter of 18 mm.
Still, on matters to do with the vision, its exit pupil distance is 10 mm, not bad for a number 4 on the list. The focal distance on this binoculars is 5m with a field of view of 469 feet over 1000 yards. That translates to 143 meters over 1000 meters. The angle of view is not that large with a degree of 5.5
The weight of the binoculars is 1.09lbs, only 500 grams give or take but slightly heavier than the others. This is because it is made of a metal alloy interior which makes it automatically heavier and more durable than the plastic binoculars.
The body structure. It is waterproof which tells you it has a rubber exterior. The rubber coating also allows for a stronger more comfortable grip besides being dust resistant.
The prism and prism coating used here is the BAK 4 glass with added light transmission even on low light with minimal to no colour distortions. It offers 99.5 % light transmission for clearer night vision.
The lens coating is also FMC broadband for a multi-layered coating. It gives off sharper more focused pictures.
In terms of packaging, the binoculars come loaded with plenty other things including a neck strap for easy carriage of the lens, a user manual, a carry bag with a fitted strap as well, a smartphone adapter, lens covers for the objective lens and an eye cup.
- It has a smooth focus.
- It has a lifetime guarantee. You can replace or return the product at any time after its purchase to any dealer with no worries.
- It is tripod adaptable as well as smartphone adaptive allowing you to easily share pictures with friends and family.
- It has an IP55 life waterproof guarantee allowing you to easily use it in the rain or under the fog so its fog proof
- Can be used for versatile uses as mentioned above like hunting, exploring and bird watching.
- It has pocket-friendly prices.
- The low light vision on this binoculars is rather weak compared to the other brands. Probably because of the type of coating used.
- The material on the binoculars is heavier than the plastic interior types.
5. Aptoyu Compact Binoculars for Adults/Kids
This is another type of low light binoculars. This binoculars is cheap, high performance and highly rated to 4.9 over 5. The Aptoyu Compact binoculars have a 10 times magnification and 25 mm objective lens diameter. It is very light weighing 11 ounces allowing it to be very easy to carry around.
Packaging wise, the binoculars have a high-quality neck strap made with SBR +PP webbing material that is not only stunning but very durable and comfortable to wear.
In terms of body structure, it has ABS plastic interiors with a non-slip rubber outer coating making it not only non-slip but also waterproof resistant.
Let’s talk focus and optics. The focus wheel on the binoculars can rotate constantly allowing you to adjust the picture however you like. The prism used is BAK4 for premium quality prism plus the FMC broadband green film. The multi-layered coating gives the pictures a crystal clear and crisp quality. Therefore , it is fit for low light conditions.
The field of view in this binoculars is 342 feet over 1000 yards. The imaging is brilliant over long distances with no fringing or distortion on the colour. They also don’t have any tints on the glasses. The eyecups are adjustable to allow easy viewing even with glasses on.
The neck straps that come with the binoculars are comfortable to wear and string to suspend easily on your neck.
- Has a durable outer covering making it water resistant, fog proof and dust resistant.
- It is compact in size and light in a hence portable.
- The highest prism quality of the BAK4 prism allows for easy, clearer and sharper picture quality.
- Adjustable eyecups and eyepiece allows the user to use the binoculars with glasses to give good eye relief
- The binoculars are not expensive.
- It can be used over various activities.
- Due to the compact size and light weights, it cannot be used with a tripod.
- Because the nature of prism used is a roof prism, it needs to have a corrective coating to adjust the image quality.
6. Binoteck 12×42 Binoculars for Adults
It is compact binoculars with an outer non-slip rubber coating for an ergonomic grip as well as durability. It is water resistant, dust resistant as well as shock resistant.
How about its optics? It has premium quality BAK4 prism with the FMC broadband prism coating. The green film added to the binoculars allows it to give you crisp images in HD quality as well as reduced reflections, sharper images, increased contrast and brightness. This makes them very well suited for low light vision. Or as some may say weak light environments.
The focus on this binoculars is also on the high side with a field of view of 374 feet over 1000 yards which is similar to 114 meters over 1000 meters. The angle of focus is 5.5 degrees with a focal distance of 5 m. The focus system is on the centre and right eye with the exit pupil measuring 10 mm. This allows it to be very suitable under low light areas.
It is smartphone adaptive. It is compatible with most of the smartphones available in the market including Samsung, iPhone, LG, HTV and Sony.
- It is compact in size therefore very portable to carry around.
- Very easy to use after reading the user manual provided upon purchase.
- The binoculars feature great picture quality and eye relief thanks to the high-quality prism glass and multi-layered coating.
- It also budgets friendly costing under $50.
- The binoculars are IP55 waterproof certified making it fully resistant from water and fog.
- The leather and rubber putter coating offers a good anti-slip mechanism to the binoculars.
- They have a lifetime replacement warranty for ensured quality and service to their customers.
- Colour quality has been reviewed by some to be less seeing that the objective lens has been coated with a multi-layer coating rather than a fully multi-layered coating which has fewer reflections and colour distortions.
Buyer’s guide for best low light binoculars
These are the features to check for that binoculars to use for low light conditions.
Outer features of the binoculars have an important effect just as much as the interior. Rubber is the best exterior coating as it makes the binoculars waterproof, dust resistant and fog proof
Outer features also refer to eyecups and the eyepiece distance of the binoculars. It should be wide enough to allow for easy wearing. Those who wear glasses will need something with a wider surface area. That is why it is important to look at the distance offered by different binoculars to ensure they will fit perfectly with your eyes.Look for one that offers good eye relief
The interpupillary distance as well needs to fit well. This is especially for those that fold. The compact size of the binoculars should not be too limiting. It should allow you to adjust according to your pupil to pupil distance.
The interior materials have to be long-lasting and if the best quality. There are different types of interior materials used to make the binoculars. There is Aluminium. This is heavier in weight and offers more durability due to the general construction used to make the structure.
The other type of material is the polycarbonate Plastic also known as ABS plastic it is very light in terms of weight and would be best if you want something portable. It also costs less due to the easy to find plastic. Another great advantage of plastic is that is less susceptible to temperature changes. That is expansion and contraction.
In the high end, binoculars could be made with magnesium which is heavy. Due to being metal, it can also cause damage to the optics over time due to the changes in temperature.
The objective lens may or may not need coating due to the type of prism in the binoculars. There are two types of prisms as I will explain below. But the roof prism needs corrective actions to the lens to cater to the light transmitted.
In such cases, you will need to look for something that is coated. There are 3 types of coating. The fully coated multilayered coating and the fully multi-coated. The best choice is fully multicolored to give you the best picture quality. You will see such coatings like the FMC broadband green film. Looking at the generations of night vision devices can give a clue of the light transmitted in most scopes.
Prisms and prisms coating
There are two types of prisms in binoculars. There are Porro prism and roof prism. The Porro prism is very expensive while the rood is less costly. Being less costly, it needs corrective measures to ensure the picture quality is of the sharpest and highest of quality. These help in low light conditions.
The prisms also have different types of glasses that transmit different lights for an equally balanced picture. There are 3 types. The best is the BAK4 glass also known as barium crown glass. The second best is the BK-7 and lastly the SK- 15. Not to say the last option has the poorest quality. Just that it is incomparable.
The buyers’ guide would not be complete without touching in the cost. This all depends on what you are looking for and how much you can afford. From the top 6 binoculars above, most of them are not even as costly as you may anticipate.
Choosing the best low light binoculars can be a hard task without the right information. That is why this above guide has made sure to touch on all you may need to purchase the best binoculars.
From the buyers’ guide, you have learned about the best glass that will transmit over 99.5% light offering pictures that are bright, classic and have brilliant picture format. You have learned on the types of lens, the best coating for your binoculars and the outer coating that would be best for environmental elements.Also, look for one that will view all images well in low light conditions.
With all the above said, I hope you make the perfect choice for your perfect binoculars.