Avid whale watchers know the importance of getting functional binoculars that will not only enable them to see these massive yet timid sea creatures from a safe distance but also provide a clear view.
However, a good pair of binoculars will also help in other adventures like bird watching or hunting. Therefore, when you are choosing, you have to put your priorities in order and only get one that works best for you.
Portability, ease of handling, and clear vision are some of the things to look out for in good marine binoculars. Therefore good research needs to be done if you are destined to find the best binoculars for whale watching.
This review explores some of the picks for the best binoculars for whale watching available in the market.
In this post we'll cover:
- 0.1 1.USCAMEL 10*50 Marine Military Binoculars For Adults – High Power View
- 0.2 2. Bushnell H2O Water Proof/ Fog Proof Roof Prism Binocular
- 0.3 3. Athlon Optics Midas Roof Prism UHD Binoculars
- 0.4 4. Nikon Monarch 5 8*42 Binocular
- 0.5 5.VANGUARD Spirit ED Binocular, Black
- 1 Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Binoculars for Whale Watching
- 2 Final Take
1.USCAMEL 10*50 Marine Military Binoculars For Adults – High Power View
[amazon box=”B016OK3MK4″ button_text=”Check Price On Amazon” button_detail=]
Looking at the magnification abilities of the USCAMEL binoculars specified above, it is safe to say that this is one of the best binoculars for whale watching. This is because it is practically undestroyable, and also it can float on water despite its heavyweight. Other attractive aspects of these marine binoculars are:
You can zoom the images, making them appear ten times larger than they are. The lens is endowed with a width of 50mm. This guarantees it will provide you with a wide field of view for quality and exceptional images.
It covers the eyes completely; thus, keeping away stray rays that may obstruct the clear view of your prized possession.
An added advantage is that the eyecups are made of rubber, and can easily be folded to allow even people who wear glasses to handle these binoculars effortlessly. A 1000 yards view is another aspect that these binoculars boast of.
Another appealing feature these binoculars have is its high-quality Porro prism lens. Coated with a light green anti-reflective coating, you can be sure too much reflective light will be toned down, to ensure you have a sharp image, with no distortion.
In addition to this, the lenses are made of BAK4, which reduces the light glare, while at the same time enhancing the colour. It is among the best Porro prism binoculars that exist today.
Humidity and water, in general, are known to damage such devices, which is why anyone planning to watch the wales from the sea will enjoy the USCAMEL10*50 binoculars’ waterproof properties. This is thanks to the dry nitrogen used in sealing it, a component that ensures no water leaks into the binoculars, making it less useful as it is intended to be. Better yet, these binoculars float on water, which means you do not have to worry if it accidentally drops into the sea.
In case you are watching these mammals from land at dusk when the light is not as bright, you will be glad to know that these devices have night vision abilities, and battery slots to illuminate light in the dark. To wrap this up, the item comes attached to a bag that makes transporting the binoculars easy, especially since the bag has a strap.
On the flip side, these binoculars can be a bit heavy on the hand, because they are made using Porro prism technology. However, this is nothing compared to the other perks that the user benefits from.
One more downside of getting this binocular is that it is quite expensive. You may have to spend well over $200 to get yourself a pair.
- 10x zooming ability
- Light-green anti-reflective Porro Prism lens
- Can float on water
- Night vision enabled with battery slots
- Quite heavy as a result of the Porro prism technology
- Expensive compared to competitor brands
2. Bushnell H2O Water Proof/ Fog Proof Roof Prism Binocular
[amazon box=”B003VRWJY4″ button_text=”Check Price On Amazon” button_detail=”https://shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=15098&u=1953732&m=4355&urllink=www%2Eopticsplanet%2Ecom%2Fbushnell%2Dh2o%2D10x42mm%2Droof%2Dprism%2Dbinoculars%2Ehtml&afftrack=”]
Next on the line of best whale watching binoculars is this Bushnell H2O waterproof binocular. It is much smaller than the first binocular, which is a plus for me. Additionally, it has some pretty appealing features that make it ideal for a day at the sea. Some of its best features are:
It has HD clarity, which is enhanced by the 10x magnification power. The 42mm lens diameter enables the eyes to settle well on the eyecups, allowing the viewer to have an easy time during their whale-watching session.
Buyers should know that the binocular is crafted using some of the best materials that ensure the longevity of the device. The field of view is at 1000 yards, which is the standard gauge in most binoculars for whale-watching.
Seeing that it is designed for outdoor activities, this binocular also contains waterproof qualities. It has been purged using nitrogen to ensure that not a single drop of water makes its way into the lens.
This is reinforced by the O-ring seals, which also ensure that water and air do not seep into the inside of this Bushnell h2o binocular. As such, this makes this binocular an ideal one to use during all weather.
In regards to image clarity, this pair of binoculars has fully multi coated optics, which refract the light. It also provides with reliable exit pupil for enhanced viewing. This gives even clear images as opposed to covered with a single coloured optic. Being at sea is definite that there will be sudden movements. The neck strap is made for this purpose. It allows you to secure the binocular on your neck, so it doesn’t fall. An extra feature that is essential for securing this gadget is the rubber grip. Once you hold it in place, it will take heavy turbulence to let go.
We know how vital the lenses are when it comes to viewing. Any damage to them can alter how they function. This is why the lenses are protected using a rubber cover so that in case they fall you need not worry about compromising on their quality.
Whale-watchers at times have to wait for hours before they can sight their first view. This means you may have to hold the binocular a bit longer than you anticipate. Lucky for you, the Bushnell binocular is light, weighing 1lb. This eliminates any possibility of developing muscle cramps on the arms during long waiting times.
Unfortunately, a few negative attributes also stand out in this product. For example:
- The cost of getting it is considerably high. While most other competitor binoculars go for $40 or less, this one goes for a whopping $95.76.
- Also, they do not float on water, so hold them tight to your chest while at sea
- HD visual properties
- Water-proofed using nitrogen and O-ring seals
- Multi-coated lens
- Neck strap for easy portability
- Rubber coated for protection
- Quite costly to acquire
- Can easily sink in water
3. Athlon Optics Midas Roof Prism UHD Binoculars
[amazon box=”B00YLTG7DA” button_text=”Check Price On Amazon” button_detail=”https://shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=15098&u=1953732&m=4355&urllink=www%2Eopticsplanet%2Ecom%2Fathlon%2Doptics%2Dathlon%2Dbinoculars%2Dmidas%2Dg2%2D8x42%2Duhd%2Droof%2Dprism%2Dblack%2Ehtml&afftrack=”]
When you are out for whale watching from shore, then it is only justice to equip yourself with the right gadget for the task. Athlon Optics Midas binoculars are therefore designed to meet your whale watching expectations specifically. It has advanced fully coated lenses for high light transmission when viewing.
This lens coating guarantees that it maintains the original color hence making it exceptional from competitor brands. With reliable exit pupil performance, the image quality you get through the lens is exceptional. Additionally, it has an XPL coating, which gives the lens extra protection from scratches, oil, or dirt. Therefore, when you are out for an adventure, you will not be worried about any situation that might prevent you from having fun.
This whale watching binoculars also features a non slip construction style keeping it secure in your hands all the time. However, in case it slips and falls in the water, the waterproof construction guarantees that it will remain secure. Therefore, nothing will stand between you and enjoying nature and other adventures. The ED glass guarantees that you only get clear and sharp images regardless of the distance. It also has a wide field of view to guarantee that you can spot your target from any range.
Additionally, with the high field of view, its easy for you to single out your target to monitor its movement and so on. Its high quality material also guarantees non slip grip especially in tough weather conditions.
- XPL coating for extra lens protection
- Waterproof construction
- Non-slip casing
- Adjustable eyecups
- Controlling the binocular is a little complicated
4. Nikon Monarch 5 8*42 Binocular
[amazon box=”B00CBAHTOC” button_text=”Check Price On Amazon” button_detail=”https://shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=15098&u=1953732&m=4355&urllink=www%2Eopticsplanet%2Ecom%2Fnikon%2Dmonacrch%2D5%2D8x42%2Dbinocular%2Ehtml&afftrack=”]
Durability and functionality are the two aspects of this binocular that have me interested in it. The Nikon Monarch is among the best binoculars for whale watching that really give good service to the users. It has tons of features that make it easy to use and handle. For example:
The rubber-coated body is key when it comes to such adventurous activities. In case the binoculars fall, you are assured that you will pick up an intact device, as opposed to those without the cover. This same attribute helps to keep your binoculars in your hands while you enjoy your view, meaning that it is a genuine accident if they fall.
The non slip grip guarantee also ensures that the binoculars is safe for use even in harsh weather conditions.
These are resistant to water and fog, so you can step out of the house at whatever time and begin your search for these mammoth creatures.
Nikon ensures that you enjoy a clear view through the inclusion of extra-low dispersion glass. The 42mm field of view makes the encounter even more appealing now that it is already crisp clear.
Installing and taking down additional features is easy. For example, you only need to flip the lens caps down once the light has subsided. A central knob is provided to avail ease of use during the whale-watching experience. While other versions of the Nikon Monarch are heavier, this one is light. As such, you can pop it into your bag and go for the adventure. This Nikon aculon binoculars also features high quality image projection.
Even with such positive aspects, this binoculars still has a few negatives to it.
- First, its price is a tad too high. Users have to pay up to $300 to get this Nikon Monarch 5 8*42.
- Next, the range of view is not as vast as in most other binoculars. You have to make with 228 feet, which is much more less than the standard 396 installed in most other binoculars.
- They are not compact, so you have to use the neck strap or the carrier bag to carry them around.
- It has an expansive field of view
- All-weather binoculars
- Easy to use
- Rubber coated for protection
- Limited range of view Quite large
5.VANGUARD Spirit ED Binocular, Black
[amazon box=”B00CTEA776″ button_text=”Check Price On Amazon” button_detail=]
The Vanguard spirit Ed binocular is all you need to experience greatness in your outdoor. This device is covered with a lifetime warranty allowing you to experience flexibility as you view objects. It has high light transmission giving you up to 90% perfect viewing at any distance.
The advanced ED glass prism ensures to pick quality images without alternating the colors for quality projection. Unlike other binoculars on the market, it has a large focus adjustment wheel, which gives you the ultimate control of your vision at any place.
The binocular has a lightweight construction and comfortable to hold body design. When held on one hand, the lightweight design will guarantee non slip performance. Therefore, when you are out, it will not overstress your shoulders while on the move. Additionally, its features are user-friendly, allowing you to operate the device comfortably. The eyecups have a twist-out design hence giving you long eye relief for objects placed at a distance. The case is 100% waterproof. This means when you are out on a rainy day, your binocular will remain secure even after getting contact with water. Additionally, it is also waterproof fog proof and shock resistant, so your vision will not be affected even when the weather is not as friendly. It also has a neck strap for hands free carrying while on the move.
- Lifetime warranty cover
- User-friendly features
- Lightweight and comfortable body design
- 100% waterproof
- Blurs images beyond 250 yards
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Binoculars for Whale Watching
Choosing the right whale-watching binoculars is a daunting adventure. It takes more than walking in a store and picking one that you feel is right. There are those that have attractive looks but when it comes to performances, they are a little off.
Therefore, as you choose, it is essential to ensure you have your options straight and only invest in a pair that will meet your expectations. Among other issues, here are a few that you must not bypass while making your decision
- Eye relief – The distance between your eyepiece to the eye is what we call eye relief. In case you wear glasses, find binoculars that allow you to adjust the focus to your preferred intensity. Also, get those that have eyecups made using rubber since these are easily adjustable. A pair of binoculars with long eye relief is also helpful and it ensures you don’t experience eye fatigue even with extensive uses. Additionally, working with a binoculars with long eye relief makes it possible for you to spot your target easy without stressing your vision
- The type of prism used – There are two types of prisms used in making binoculars, the roof prism, and Porro prisms. While the Porro prism is more complicated in structure, they do not offer views as bright as those provided by roof prism binoculars. However, you enjoy a greater field depth in addition to extensive views.
- Magnification abilities – In most cases, the magnification power of 8* will suffice if you are at sea. However, other binoculars have stronger options scaling up to 10* the size of the object. Therefore, getting a binoculars with 8x magnification will not only provide you with quality image projection but will also work best for long range viewing. Magnification of the binoculars determines whether you get clear and bright images. Therefore getting the right fit should not be proportional.
- Glass – The glass is the primary item used in viewing the images. Ensure that you chose binoculars made using high-quality glass, to avoid instances where the light bends, making the images to appear somewhat distorted. In most cases, low dispersion glass is used to correct such issues. More so, opt for glass that is free of lead, since these are much kinder to the environment.
- Coatings – The lens coatings affect how light is transmitted and increase the contrast in imaging, making the view clearer and appealing. There are three types of coverings in binoculars, which are the coating, multilayer coating, and fully multi-coated. Binoculars with fully multi coated optics works best in both low light conditions and those with high lighting. Therefore, when choosing, it is critical to ensure that you put the environment in consideration
- Field of view – The width area that you can see without moving your head to the right or left in the field of view. The field of view is affected by the magnification power. These are inversely connected, meaning that a lower magnification avails a broader field of view. The opposite of this is true.
- Durability – Ensure that you chose whale watching binoculars that can last for ages. Ones that are purged with nitrogen are ideal since they won’t spoil if they come into contact with water. Also, material that is not easily destroyed will provide longevity for the binoculars.
- Size of the objective lens. The objective lens of a binoculars is measured in diameter. It is the second number after the ‘x’ symbol. This lens is placed on the other side of the eye piece and its responsible for picking objects that you want to see with the binoculars. When choosing the diameter of the objective lens that would work for you, you need to consider your ideal adventure and operating mode. For instance, if you will be using the binoculars in low lighting conditions, investing in one that has a large objective lens is profitable. However, the size of objective lens also determines the weight of the entire binoculars. The bigger the objective lens the heavier the binoculars. Therefore, if you will be constantly on the move and not ready to carry extra weight, finding a smaller objective lens would work for you. It also determines the exit pupil of your binoculars. Therefore, it will directly affect the image quality of your viewing.
- Size and weight. It is one thing to get a binoculars that feels comfortable when held in your hand and it’s another to have one with the right size and weight for reliable performance. Therefore, when choosing, it is essential to focus on how often you will be using the binoculars. One with low dispensation glass is convenient for watching whales from shore and is also convenient for long range viewing. The focus knob should be strategically placed to guarantee that you can pick on your target easily.
- Price is another essential feature to consider before purchasing any product. The market is often complicates and knowing the right product is not always straightforward. The greatest challenge when it comes to price is determining the quality of the product. However, when you have your budget, its easy to make the right decision. Budgeting gives you an overview of expectations. Also when you have your budget, it will be easy for you to only focus on what is within your range. However, not all expensive products guarantee high quality and not all cheap ones are of poor quality. Therefore, whatever your budget, there is still hope that you can get the best. All you need to do is search deeply and work with a range you are comfortable.
- Ease of use. This may not be classified in the features while choosing various products. While choosing products to buy, getting one that is easy to use can be quite helpful. Using binoculars is easy for everyone, however, when you want to use it for incredible whale watching, then you will need to find a pair that you can easily adjust. Ensure that your binoculars of choice allows you to focus on your target and can be adjusted effectively. This way, you will enjoy quality performance and will not have to struggle learning how to operate the device.
Your experience will be memorable if at all you use one of these best binoculars for whale watching. Even so, ensure that you consider all the factors listed above, in addition to the price before settling for any. Be sure to take care of your binoculars, especially if yours is not the floating type.
Retrieving it from the sea can be tricky. If you are on a budget, there are plenty of other cheaper options available. These, however, may not offer you quality services as these high-end binoculars in this review. In this case, go through customer reviews to find your best pick, go for the kill, and brace yourself for an epic whale-watching encounter.